My kindergartener needed an apron for school. They kids bake bread and soup each week so a child sized apron was on the school supply list. Of course I decided to sew her one. We made a trip to the fabric store and Sairshe picked out a bright floral fabric and some lime green pompoms. It may not be the perfect apron for every child, but it’s prefect for Sairshe.
After spending too much time looking at a bunch of kids apron patterns I realized it was just an apron and I could figure it out myself. After all, I knew just how I wanted it to be. Pretty and girly, covering enough of her clothes to actually be useful and I wanted her to be able to put it on and take it off herself. Even though she’s at a Waldorf school, there’s no reason not to bring in a little of Montessori’s do-it-yourself, self-sufficiency ideals. I also thought I’d do my part to save the teacher from having to tie and untie aprons for 22 kids. I’m thoughtful like that. Though to be honest, I’d be the one tying it on her in the mornings so I guess it was a little self-serving too.
Sairshe was the designer of it all, opting for green ties to match the pom poms and determining the placement of the pocket, complete with pom pom trim. I fancied it up a little with a box pleat on the pocket and decorative top stitching.
To make it easy to put on and off I put elastic in the neck strap so she can slip it over her head and once on, it’s still lays high enough on her chest to cover most of her shirt.
I sewed one waist strap that could reach across to the other side and then sewed velcro to the end so she can attach it herself.
Definitely a winner! Even with the shockingly bright pink polyester ice skating outfit she’s been wearing during most non-school hours lately.