Sesame Seed Designs

DSC04709You do not know how happy it makes me to be done with this sweater!

It started about 2 years ago with Mike picking out his yarn, and hours spent finding The Right Pattern. He settled on the Spartan Pullover from IK, but wanted it to be a cardigan and the design at the bottom to be a little simpler. I did the alterations, started knitting and it became apparent that the size wasn’t working. I frogged it and refused to start on it again for a while. I eventually scrapped that pattern and that led to more time spent finding The Right Pattern #2. Mike’s a little particular but I don’t really mind because the end result is that he wears his handknits and loves them. Here’s the first blog mention I can find about this sweater. ‘ The sleeves I say I’m done knitting were part of the frogged version. That was almost 2 years ago! Apparently I started on this final version back in May. Pattern #2, the winning pattern, is Avast from Knitty, but when I started knitting the cabled band that goes around the bottom, we both decided that it was a little wimpy. I found some better cables and pretended to let Mike pick, but I vetoed his choice and went with this one because it’s what I wanted to knit. Hey, the knitter should get some say in the matter. In fact, I don’t even think Mike would remember that this wasn’t his fist choice except that now I’m reminding him.

Have you knit a sweater for a grown man before?’ It’s a lot of stockinette. There were many times this got pushed to the back of the line, like when little sesame was born, or when summer came around (for the 2nd time) and I realized he wouldn’t wear it right now anyway so why hurry finish now?

The weather got cold again and the guilt grew, as did the demands from Mike that it be finished. I started working on it again then realized that any simplicity caused by knitting it in the round (no seams!) was completely offset by all the turned under edgings (so many seams!). It was worth it because the edges look awesome.
DSC04710
Then there was the blocking, the measuring and the ordering of the zipper (all easy) followed by the waiting for the custom zipper to arrive (hard because we’re both fairly impatient at times).

Finally, every last edge is sewn under, ends woven in, pesky armpit holes sewn shut, zipper sewn, more edging seamed and he’s worn it twice in a week! Ahhh.’ The relief of being done, and of it being a success, is fabulous.

DSC04705

Be Sociable, Share!

9 Responses to “The Sweater That Took 2 Years”

1. Carol says:

Well done!!! What an impressive looking sweater ! Well worth the effort! :)

2. Kirsten says:

CASEY! I feel somewhat comforted in hearing that it took you a couple tries to finish. Cause you’re like…my knitting guru…and it’s nice to know that we all get stuck sometimes. Is that wrong?

LOVE YOU! And the sweater looks amazing. Well done.

3. Denise says:

WOW, 2 years! I would have given up on that a long time ago. Well done for completing it, and it looks awesome on him too :)

4. Johanna says:

Beautiful and inspiring… my husband has a new sweater that he loves that I’ve been thinking of copying to make him another one. He’s so picky about the fit of things, that I figured safe was better.

I love the cable at the bottom of this sweater. I wonder if my husband would allow that much “spice” in his life!

Great job!

5. Helen says:

What an awesome sweater, Casey! Clearly so worth the time it took. Very inspiring!

6. Diana says:

Two years did the trick! The sweater came out great – love the fit and that green color.

7. Agnes says:

Very cool! That’s a great modification.

8. Mariah says:

Hi Casey,

I just found your blog and love the things you make. I am in a similar situation, although instead of a super cute little girl I have three boys, 2,4, and 6!! I have been busy this long Montana winter making all kinds of felted items from vests for the boys, blankets, hats, purses, aprons, and other weird things. My husband is worried about my sanity and also thinks I should sell what I make. Nice to see that you are doind well with your creations. It sounds like we have so much in common, I will continue to read your blog. Cheers to living green, being a good mama, and loving what you do. Mariah

9. [...] even wearing a sweater that I knit a couple of years ago. My quest to clothe my family entirely in wool is nearing fulfillment. (I [...]